- The question has often been posed to me if I could have one item of makeup and one item only what would it be? The answer for me does not even need thinking about. It would be mascara all the time. I simply love mascara. I like my eyes and my Mother always told me the eyes are the window to the soul is so true. Your eyes can tell so much about you and for this reason I like to have mine as bright and big as I possibly can. I love volume mascara and I love big lashes. I am a self confessed false eyelash lover however I don’t wear them for day wear (unless for very special occasions). I like the whole feeling of occasion when I wear lashes so that feeling would be lost if I were to wear them all the time. So taking this into consideration and my love for big bold bright eyes I am always on the hunt for volume mascara that will give me my desired look. I tend to purchase a lot of mascara’s. I have complied a little list of the mascara’s most used from my collection at the moment. I have used all of these mascara’s and the opinions shared are that of my own from my own experience of using the mascara. So here goes........
Just for information purposes I should tell you what other makeup I have on. In each picture I am wearing Yves Saint Laurent - Teint Touche Eclat Foundation in beige. I have a MAC Mineralised pressed powder and a little swipe of NARS Bronzer in Laguna. I am also wearing MAC’S Rapid black Penultimate eyeliner and Tom Fords Brow Sculptor in Espresso. To take off my mascara I used MAC eye makeup remover. I find this makeup remover excellent and gentle.
- Lancome Hypnoses Doll Eyes
This mascara is nice but sadly not great. It is promoted to give a wide eye effect and separate lashes. It does do this but not to the extent as I would like. It does not run or give you back marks around your eye. You do however need to put a fair bit on and I find you need to clean the brush often to remove clumps. It is nice for day wear in my opinion. For high end mascara this is a little disappointing. I do like the brush as it is shaped in such a way as to help you get to the little lashes at the edge of your eye. Over all I was disappointed a little in this mascara.
- L’Oreal Volume Million Lashes Diamantissime
L’Oreal has been the creator of my favourite mascara’s for a long time and again this does not fail to impress. Its dark black, it has a fabulous brush that is fat at the top and bottom and thinner in the middle to give a curl to your lash. It gives your lashes volume and has staying power. One of my favourites for sure. This is a mascara I would like to always have in my make up bag as it gives me the big lash bight eyed look I really like.
- Bare Minerals Flawless definition.
I am not a big fan of this mascara. It was fantastic at the beginning for the first maybe 10 uses then it just got worse. It is clumpy and gives a flat shape to your lashes. I also find that the brush gets very messy and needs to be wiped clean very often. The brush is thin and I think it would benefit from a bigger brush. I also find that this mascara wears off easily and sometimes leaves clumpy bits of mascara in your lashes that are just a no go for any mascara loving girl. I will not be repurchasing this mascara.
- Clinique high impact extreme volume mascara
This mascara does exactly as it says on the tube!! It’s fabulous. It has a big brush that just adds volume gives great length to lashes. My only negative is the brush gets a little clumpy but not so much as to put you off using it. This is definitely mascara I will buy again and continue to use. I really love it
- MAC Opulash
Traditionally I am not a massive fan of MAC Mascara as it but I must admit this mascara is a little different. It claims to add volume and optimum length but to be honest I did not find this. It does however separate the lash nicely and it does add length but not so much volume. The brush is wide and big and that helps with the separation of lashes. I like this mascara for day wear as it’s clean and gives me bright eyes.
- Thick and Fast Super Volume Mascara by Soap and Glory
In my pursuit of the best volume mascara I bought this after reading a few good reviews. Unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations. It had a big brush with I was hopeful of. I do like the effect it has no my bottom lash but the top lacks ump!! I have not used it a lot but maybe with another try or ten I may grow on me.
- Bobbi Brown Extreme Party Mascara
I like this mascara. I got it as part of an eyeliner pot package so it is in sample size. I have a medium size brush and its jet black in colour. I separate the lashes and leaves them very bright looking. It does not run and has good staying power. I would but the full size of this mascara when my sample is used up.
- Lancôme Hypnoses Star
My sister gave me this as a gift how good is she? It is somewhat on an upgrade of the aforementioned Doll Eyes. It is indeed upgraded. It separates and gives better volume. The brush is thin at the top to help get the little lashes at the edges of your eyes and gives the rest of your lashes some volume. I do like the curl it gives your lashes at the sides, they almost curl out. I like using this mascara at the moment and hope it continues.
There you have it, my mascara collection. The top 2 mascara's for me would have to be Clinique high impact extreme volume mascara and L’Oreal Volume Million Lashes Diamantissime. The worst would have to be Bare Minerals Flawless definition. To repeat these are only my choices and every one has different wants and needs from a mascara!
I really hope you found this post useful. What do you like in a mascara and do you have any recommendation for volume and big lashes???? I would love to know so please leave a comment.